Adult weight management services from Swindon Borough Council
Swindon Borough Council leisure services provide a choice of free weight management programmes for patients meeting the inclusion criteria outlined below.
- Weight Watchers Referral Documents
- Adult Weight Management Referral Criteria (these criteria are the same for both Dietbusters and Weight Watchers.)
Contact: Debbie Mitchell, Health Improvement Programme Co ordinator (Adult Weight Management)
Health Improvement Team
Swindon Borough Council
Tel: 01793 464904
Inclusion criteria for free service
- aged 16 years or over, and
- lives in Swindon Borough Council
- have a body mass index (BMI) of 30 kg/m2 or greater or a waist circumference of 94cm or more in men or of 80cm or more in women, and
- are ready to tackle their weight, and
- meet at least one of the following criteria:
- have type II diabetes
- are eligible for free prescriptions
- have a mild learning disability
- are on the mental health register and are able to attend groups
- booked for elective hip or knee replacement surgery and BMI of 35 or more
Psychological support weight management courses
The Swindon Primary Care Psychology NHS Service regularly offer a free weight management course, which looks at issues that can impact on weight (e.g. self esteem, assertiveness) and ways to manage with these.
The service also runs other courses, such as stress management, which could help with losing weight. Details are available by calling Lift Psychology, Old Town Surgery, Curie Avenue, SN1 4GB tel: 01793 836836 or visiting the LIFT section of the SEQOL website
Free Adult weight management services (for those with Type 2 Diabetes):
Steps to Health – GP Exercise Referral Scheme
The Steps to Health Scheme promotes better health through physical activity. If your GP believes physical activity will help with any medical condition you may have, he/she may refer you to the scheme.
You will work with experienced and qualified exercise specialists to safely improve your health over a 12 week programme.
There is no joining fee for Steps to Health. The sessions cost just £2.50.
ADULT WEIGHT MANAGEMENT SERVICES that are not free:
Tel: 0844 897 8000
USEFUL ONLINE Resources
An increasing number of organisations offer online support that follows NICE guidelines. These include:
The British Dietetic Association Weightwise: The Weightwise website has been developed for, and is managed by, the British Dietetic Association (BDA), the organisation that represents registered dietitians in the UK.
The Losing Weight section on NHS Choices: this section of NHS Choices includes a BMI calculator along with lots of other advice and guidance on losing weight.
British Heart Foundation: Downloadable leaflets on healthy eating and physical activity.