Online Diabetes Education
www.diabetesinhealthcare.co.uk (Diabetes in Healthcare is an introductory diabetes education tool for healthcare professionals covering Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. It has been developed by Diabetes UK and Bupa to allow easy access to good-quality diabetes education)
www.diabetesonthenet.com (High-quality diabetes education for healthcare professionals working in the UK − register for face-to-face events, access journal content, watch videos and participate in online CPD from leading professional societies)
Based on the UK national diabetes competency frameworks and offers 5 levels that healthcare practitioners can register at according to their role to support revalidation. Details can be found at www.cdep.org.uk. To register click on ‘My Learning’, then ‘Sign in to access My Learning’. After entering your password, use the registration key code SWCVN.
How to Use CDEP: https://www.cdep.org.uk/how-to-use-CDEP.html
If you have any issues or require further support please contact: Candice Ward, Lead CDEP educator firstname.lastname@example.org
Primary Care Diabetes Society
PCDS have announced the launch of a new series of free eLearning modules through funding provided by NHS Wales. This education has been designed to support healthcare professionals working within primary and secondary care. The modules currently available are as follows
- Diabetes and older people – community care modules 1 & 2
- Pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes prevention
- Pre-conception, pregnancy and postnatal advice to women with diabetes
The new series can be easily accessed via the following link http://www.cpd.diabetesonthenet.com/index.php
1. Diabetes Consultant/Community DSN Practice-based Education Visits (Diabetes Consultant/GP, DSN/Practice Nurse Joint Practice-based Clinics) 2017-18
Facilitator: Dr Vladimir Vaks, Lead Consultant in Community Diabetes and Sarah Fitzpatrick, Lead Community DSN
These practice-based sessions are run by a community diabetes consultant, and last 4 hours. The sessions may be run differently, such as:
- Joint mentored clinics: GPs select patients to be seen face-to-face, think in advance of learning points, lead the consultation and get consultant feedback immediately after the patient has been seen.
- Joint clinic to see complex/unengaged patients.
- Virtual discussion of patients without the patient being present: e.g. next step therapy, suitable patients that may be discharged from the hospital clinic, etc.
- Topic discussions/seminars/workshops/updates in diabetes – running for 1-2 hours with topics to be chosen by the practice, dependent on what GPs/practice nurses would like to learn (requests for such sessions are to be sent to the community diabetes office 6 weeks in advance.)
- Sessions for the whole practice, looking at QoF improvement indicators, discussion of QoF outliers, local diabetes pathways and guidelines.
- Combination of topic discussion (1 hour) following joint clinic.
The sessions are available to be attended by any practice HCPs (GPs, PNs, HC assistants, local pharmacists) who are involved in diabetes care.
Who can be seen in the joint diabetes consultant/GP clinics?
- Any cases a GP would like to learn about the next step in diabetes management.
- Assessment and next step in treatment (GLP-1, SGLT2, insulin).
- Discussing suitable patients that may be discharged from hospital clinics.
- Difficult to manage patients (motivation, individual care planning, specialist opinion).
- Patients not engaging with the hospital diabetes clinic.
- Uncertainty about classification of diabetes.
- HbA1c above 75mmol/mol.
- HbA1c above 58mmol/mol for the last 3 years.
For further details contact Swindon Community Diabetes Service Administrator Mrs Rosemary Wood
by email@example.com or
Tel: 01793 696621
2.Diabetes Training days for GPs and Practice Nurses
Facilitator: Dr Vladimir Vaks, Lead Consultant in Community Diabetes
Thursday 24 May 2018 – Antidiabetes Therapies and Insulin in Type 2 Diabetes Management – download the agenda
Venue: Swindon Town Football Club, County Road, Swindon, SN1 2ED
Start/Finish: 9.15 to 17.00
To book your place for the 24 May 2018 event, please contact:
Kim Taylor, Swindon GP Education Administrator
Tel: 01793 605487
3. Bi-monthly Swindon Diabetes Education Forum
Thursday 6 September 2018 – Managing cholesterol in diabetes
Holiday Inn, Swindon, SN3 6AQ
Approximately one hour (7pm until 8pm)
Louise Golding, Diabetes Specialist Dietician
Dr Mayur Patel, Consultant Clinical Pathology
An evening buffet will be served from 6.30pm
How to attend
Please contacting Rosemary Wood using the details below.
Telephone: 01793 696621
Please click here for information on past events.