Your GP or nurse may refer you to the Community Diabetes Service if they feel you need specialist input, or they may call the Community Diabetes Service for some advice and guidance in relation to your treatment plan. This is to ensure you are receiving the best care and treatment for your diabetes at this time.
The Community Diabetes Service consists of a diabetes consultant and 2 Community Diabetes Nurse Specialists. The service is available Monday-Friday 09:00 – 17:00.
The Community Diabetes Service aims to:
- Improve the care and health outcomes of adult patients with diabetes in Swindon.
- Provide accessible services as close to the patients’ home or workplace as possible.
- Improve the knowledge and skills of health care professionals to manage diabetes care, through education, training and practice support
- Promote patients to self care and gain a better understanding of their diabetes through a range of education offerings, motivational interviewing and literature resources.
- Reduce hospital admissions.
The service welcomes referrals from a variety of health care professionals.